A moist banana buttermilk nut bread recipe made with sugar, eggs, bananas, chopped nuts, and fresh buttermilk. This easy banana bread recipe is special because the buttermilk inside makes a very moist delicious bread.
Baking a quick bread is one of my favorite things, as the heady aroma fills the kitchen and will surely get those late sleepers up and moving on the weekend. Serve this for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert bread.
Also, you get to use up those over ripe bananas that would have otherwise gotten thrown out.
This recipe is shared from my grandmother’s recipe box collection. She has been gone for some time, but by making some of her recipes, I get to enjoy a few memories.
Breakfast and Brunch Serving Ideas
You can also find more quick bread recipes, including other types of banana breads here.
Banana Buttermilk Nut Bread Recipe
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon lemon Juice
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large extra ripe bananas)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9" x 5" x 3" loaf baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream the sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add beaten eggs, lemon juice, and buttermilk and stir to incorporate.
- Stir the banana mash into the wet mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Gradually add to the wet mixture in small amounts until full incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in chopped nuts.
- Place the banana bread batter in a greased baking pan and bake for 1 hour.