These fluffy mashed potatoes are made with eggs, cheddar cheese, onion, and red pepper. Whipped egg whites in the recipe make these potatoes light and fluffy. You can also find other potato recipe ideas here.
If you think mashed potatoes are a bit boring on their own, take a look a this unique recipe. This one comes from my mom’s recipe box collection and has been around our family for quite a few years.
Cheddar cheese, green onion and red pepper make this side dish a colorful addition to your dinner table. You get the colors of yellow, red, and green with this dish, which adds an appetizing element rather than just plain white potatoes. This dish comes out nice and fluffy with the addition of egg whites into the recipe.
To me, mashed potatoes have always been one of my favorite comfort foods. This is another alternative for dinner rather than hash browns or American fries. It is also a good way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes you have and they require no gravy. They taste great on their own or with a bit of butter.
Serve these potatoes with meatloaf, steak, sliced ham or just about another meat, fish, or poultry. You can even consider adding them to your brunch menu as a side dish.
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using two bowls, separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Set the egg whites aside. In a medium to large bowl, beat egg yolks by hand or with an electric mixer until lemon colored.
- Into that bowl, add the mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, green onion, red pepper, salt, and pepper and beat until mixed.
- In a separate medium to large sized mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into the potato mixture.
- Place in a greased 1-1/2 quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.