A healthy breakfast burrito recipe made with ham, mushrooms, sliced red and green peppers, onion, and shredded cheese and served in a low-fat flavored tortilla shell. Serve this burrito for a quick and tasty breakfast.
A breakfast burrito without eggs??? How can that be? Will it still taste good?
Those were the types of thoughts I had running around in my head when I was concocting this recipe. I was after something different for breakfast and wanted to use what I had around the house AND I was also out of eggs. I had purchased these low-fat herb flavored tortilla shells and wanted to try them out. So, I thought why not just use all the other ingredients except the eggs?
I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty they were and ended up with a flavorful and healthy breakfast burrito that was relatively low fat. I really liked these as they are healthy and filing without being too heavy to weigh you down in the morning.
These breakfast burritos contain a filling of ham and vegetables that are healthy and filling without being too heavy to weigh you down in the morning. I also added a dash of cayenne pepper sauce for additional flavor.
Because there are no eggs in these breakfast burritos, this recipe also works well for anyone who has an egg allergy or just dislikes eggs.
While the recipe below makes 4 burritos (perfect for serving 2 people), it can easily be doubled to serve more family members.
Healthy Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ cup diced cooked ham
- ¼ cup diced fresh mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup sliced green pepper
- ¼ cup sliced red pepper
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 tortilla shells (I used an herb flavored low-fat tortilla shell-available at many grocery stores.)
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper sauce or tomato salsa
- Dice the ham, mushrooms, onion, green pepper and red pepper and have ready.
- Drizzle one Tablespoon of olive oil in a 10" or 12" frying pan and heat to medium high heat.
- Add all of the diced ingredients to the frying pan and cook, stirring frequently for about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Drain the mixture with a strainer or slotted spoon.
- Step 4: microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Make the burrito by scooping ¼ of the mixture into each tortilla shell and topping with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Top with a dash of cayenne pepper sauce or tomato salsa for added spice.