An easy overnight breakfast casserole made with bacon, ham, hash brown potato patties, mushrooms, eggs, and cheddar cheese. Serve this quick and easy casserole recipe for breakfast or brunch.
One of the reasons I like this particular breakfast casserole is that it uses hash brown patties instead of bread. If you have shied away from making these types of brunch casseroles in the past, you may like this one better than some others.
Because you fry the hash browns until they are crisp and golden, you get a much richer flavor from them than if you were to put them in just as cold shredded potatoes. Taking the time to do that step will result in a much better tasting casserole.
The combination of bacon and ham is always a winner when it comes to breakfast. You can leave out the mushrooms if you wish, but I do think they add flavor and texture to the dish. If you can buy fresh mushrooms, I would recommend them over canned mushrooms. If you do use canned mushrooms, be sure to drain them very well and press as much excess water out of them as you can.
As an added plus, since all of the ingredients get put directly in the pan, you will have very little clean up at the end of the day.
Serve a piece of hash brown casserole with a side of fresh fruit, toast and jam. My family liked this one a lot – mainly because it contains hash browns instead of bread.
I also have more choices for breakfast casseroles here.
“Sound delicious! And will take the stress out of breakfast on Sunday morning so I can enjoy all that Santa brings!” – Christina S.C. via FB
“The breakfast casserole looks yummy. I will have to try it. Keep up the good work Laura.” – Jan K. via FB
You might also like this breakfast casserole made with hash browns too.
Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices bacon, fried until crisp & crumbled
- 8 hash brown potato patties, fried crisp
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2-8 ounce cans of sliced mushrooms or 12 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups cubed medium or sharp cheddar cheese (1/2" chunks)
- 3 cups cubed smoked ham (1/2" chunks)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- In a large non-stick skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel and cool. Using a scissors, cut the bacon into small pieces.
- In a large non-stick skillet, fry the hash brown potato patties in a few tablespoons of butter until crisp and browned.
- Chop the onions and slice the mushrooms.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and cube the ham.
- Spray a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the crisp fried hash brown patties on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer the fried bacon, onions, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, and ham evenly over the hash browns.
- Beat the egg and milk together. Pour over all ingredients in the baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake covered with foil, for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake 25 additional minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Makes 9-12 servings.