An easy egg casserole recipe made with eggs, bacon or sausage, cheese, fresh herbs, and topped with buttered breadcrumbs. Serve this for breakfast or brunch.
This is a unique and different way to serve eggs. If you like herb flavors, this is a good recipe to try.
Serve this egg recipe for breakfast or brunch with toast and jam, juice, and fresh fruit. You could also serve additional sausage or bacon on the side.
It is seasoned with fresh herbs and includes pimento for added interest and color. This is an easy breakfast idea that only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and about 30 minutes to bake.
You could also serve this casserole as a savory addition to a brunch menu along with cinnamon rolls and a hot fruit compote.
Easy Egg Casserole With Buttered Bread Crumb Topping
Easy Egg Casserole With Buttered Breadcrumb Topping
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped parsley
- 9 eggs
- 1/4 pound bacon or bulk sausage (cooked, drained, and crumbled)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
Buttered Bread Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, make a roux with butter and flour; add milk, and all of the herbs.
- Add in the eggs, pimento, and salt to the same bowl and scramble all together with a whisk until all of the egg yolks are broken.
- Fry the bacon or sausage. If you are using bacon, allow to cool and use a scissors to snip it into small pieces. If using sausage, crumble it in the pan while it is cooking and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer the meat, egg mixture, and shredded cheddar cheese in a 1 quart size glass casserole dish. Save a small amount of the cheese out to place on top.
- Mix together the bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs on top of the casserole and then sprinkle on a bit of the leftover cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.