A recipe for vanilla toffee ice cream with a hint of rum flavor and milk chocolate English toffee chips. Use your ice cream maker to make this homemade ice cream and serve for a dessert.
There is no reason to settle for just plain vanilla ice cream when there are so many great flavors to sample. This recipe for vanilla rum toffee chip ice cream combines the great flavor of rum with milk chocolate toffee chips. It is a wonderful combination of flavors and offers just enough palette-pleasing crunch for some variety.
Vanilla Toffee Ice Cream
- 1 Cup whole milk
- ¾ Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ Teaspoon rum extract
- ⅓ Cup milk chocolate English toffee chips
- Using a medium bowl, combine the whole milk and granulated sugar. Mix with a spoon or whisk until it is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and rum extracts. Cover, refrigerate, and chill for 2 hours.
- Following the directions on your ice cream maker, pour the mixture into the container and mix until thick, about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5 minutes sprinkle in the English toffee chips and let them become incorporated into the ice cream mixture.
- This can be eaten immediately, or if you want a firmer ice cream, transfer into an airtight freezer container and place in the freezer at least 2 hours. During freezing, stir the soft ice cream once or twice to help keep the toffee chips from settling to the bottom. You may also sprinkle a few extra on the top for a nicer appearance after you have transferred it to a freezer container.
- ***If you really like the flavor of rum you can increase the rum extract to 1 teaspoon. If you do, you will taste the rum first, before the other ingredients. It is just a matter of personal preference. You may also leave out the rum flavoring if desired.
- ***This recipe is for a 1-1/2 quart ice cream maker container. Do not double this recipe, as the mixture will expand while it is being stirred in the ice cream maker.