An easy French vanilla ice cream recipe made with milk, eggs, and cream. This is a smooth and rich dessert that is delicious on its own or served over pies or cobblers.
This is quite an old recipe from my grandmother’s recipe box collection. I know it was looked upon as a special treat that everyone appreciated.
This can be made in an ice cream freezer, but does not have to be. I know it would not have been made that way originally and can be made just using your freezer – and a bit of elbow grease. An ice cream maker would turn out a creamier product, but it is still very good without using it.
Bring Back A Bit of Nostalgia With These Vintage Ice Cream Dishes
Serve your homemade ice cream creation in these beautiful dishes. Check out these vintage ice cream dishes on Etsy and show your love of ice cream. On Etsy you can find so much more than just crafts. Check it out.
French Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Blend in a sauce pan the granulated sugar, salt, milk, and slightly beaten egg yolks. Cook, stirring continuously until it comes to a boil.
- Cool and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into a freezer safe bowl. Freeze until partly frozen, about ½ to 1 hour.
- Whip 1 cup whipping cream with a whisk or electric mixer and set aside.
- Take the custard out of the freezer and place into a larger bowl. Beat until smooth. Gently fold in the whipping cream.
- Freeze until firm stirring 3-4 times during the first hour. Allow 3-4 hours to freeze completely.
- You can also place the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze it that way.