An easy broccoli salad recipe made with fresh broccoli, hard cooked eggs, olives, and onion. It has a mayonnaise and dill weed dressing. You can serve for lunch or dinner. I also have a few other cold salads like this broccoli salad recipe here.
You might be wondering if all these ingredients mixed together could turn out tasting good. I will say I was surprised how all the flavors came together with this salad, but you do have to like broccoli to enjoy this dish.
I think the best part of this salad is the hard cooked eggs. I also liked the green olives with the red pimento as it gives the salad a touch of color.
We served this with grilled salmon and it made a nice side dish for dinner. You could also serve it for lunch with a sandwich.
Make this broccoli salad a day in advance to allow the flavors time to develop. It will taste pretty good right away, but much better if made in advance.
This is an easy recipe to bring to a potluck brunch or family gathering. It also makes a good picnic food as it will keep well when properly chilled.
Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli (about 1 large head or 4 florets)
- 3 hard cooked eggs
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle pitted green olives with pimento
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup Hellman's Mayonnaise
- Cut the fresh broccoli apart into small bite size chunks. Place in a vegetable steamer and fill the bottom with water. Steam until bright green and tender crunchy. Drain and place in large mixing bowl. If using frozen broccoli, thaw slightly and steam in the same manner.
- Coarsely chop 3 hard cooked eggs and add to bowl.
- Finely chop 1 (12 ounce) bottle green olives and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop ⅓ cup yellow onion and add to the salad.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon dried dill weed over all and add 1 cup mayonnaise. Stir together until blended.
- Cover and chill 24 hours. The flavors will develop overnight.