Homemade Malted Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe with Chocolate Cookie Chunks
This malted vanilla ice cream recipe is made with malt powder, milk, heavy cream, and chocolate cookie chunks. Homemade ice cream makes a wonderful dessert.
This has to be one of the most requested homemade ice cream recipes in our house. The heady aroma of malt powder makes it hard to wait until the ice cream has frozen completely. Combine that with a whole bunch of chocolate sandwich cookies, and you have a winner for dessert.
Although this is not a chocolate ice cream, it does turn out chocolatey because of the cookies. Instead it has more of a vanilla ice cream flavor, but the color will change and look a little more chocolatey. I used Oreo cookies when I made this, but you can use other brands of chocolate creme sandwich cookies too.
This is a great dessert for pleasing children and adults alike. You may want to make two batches of ice cream right away, because the first one won’t last very long.
Smooth homemade vanilla ice cream with malt flavoring and crushed chocolate sandwich cookie chunks make this better than any ice cream concoction you can buy.
You’ll get high ratings from your friends and family with this recipe. It will become an ice cream recipe you make over and over again.
I made this in a 1-1/2 quart electric ice cream maker.
This recipe was originally posted on my www.all-about-dessert-sauces.com website back in 2006 and now has its home on my VintageCooking.com website here.
Gourmet Ice Cream Toppings
Ice Cream Maker
This ice cream maker is similar to the one I use to make homemade ice cream. Mine is just an older version but the same brand and size.
Malted Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 Tablespoons malt powder (you may use more or less to taste)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed chocolate creme sandwich cookies (about 12-14 cookies)*
- 1-1/2 quart electric ice cream maker
- Mix the granulated sugar and malt powder in a medium bowl with a whisk or hand mixer to make sure there are no lumps in the malt powder.
- Stir in 1 cup whole milk and whisk until the sugar and malt powder is dissolved.
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- When ready, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker freezer bowl, turn on machine and let mix for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add your crushed chocolate sandwich cookies through the ingredient spout and mix for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an air tight container and freeze for at least 2 hours. Garnish each serving with an extra chocolate sandwich cookie. Enjoy!
*This recipe is meant for a 1-1/2 quart electric ice cream maker.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
Ice Cream Recipes Cookbook
Ice Cream Maker Reviews