A frozen cucumber salad recipe made with sliced cucumbers and onions and marinated in a sugar and vinegar dressing. Serve for brunch, a picnic, or dinner. Find more cold vegetable salads like this cucumber salad recipe here.
Whenever I decide to make these freezer cucumber slices during the summer, my family can’t wait until they are ready. This is a recipe that my mom and grandmother used to make and possibly everybody’s grandmother used to make.
Eaten fresh, the soft cucumber slices absorb the light sugar and vinegar dressing. Since this recipe makes a fairly large batch, you can definitely freeze the remainder of them. In our house, the first batch of the summer usually is gone in a few days. I have had to make a second batch for freezing.
I think one of the things I like best is freezing them. When you take one of the containers out of the freezer in the extra cold winter months, these cucumbers taste so good that you feel transported back to summertime. So, I would encourage you to make enough to freeze a portion of the recipe to enjoy later.
You can make this recipe the night before to serve for lunch, pack it along as a wonderful vegetable salad for picnic food, or serve it as a side dish to a lighter dinner.
Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 2 quarts peeled cucumbers (about 8 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped or sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Wash, peel and slice about 6-8 medium sized cucumbers to make 2 quarts (about 8 cups). Place them in a large deep glass or stoneware mixing bowl.
- Chop or slice 1 small onion and add to the cucumbers.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of salt over the cucumbers. Add just enough water to cover the cucumbers and place a plate on top to keep them weighted down. Let sit for two to four hours.
- Drain the cucumbers and onions in a colander and rinse them well to remove the excess salt.
- Place the cucumbers back in the same bowl and add the sugar, celery seed, and vinegar. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- For Freezing: You can freeze this cucumber salad right away in a freezer safe container.
- For eating the next day: Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight and they are ready to eat for brunch or dinner or take to a picnic.