A creamy cucumber salad made from fresh sliced cucumbers and topped with a sour cream and mayonnaise dressing. A hint of lemon juice and dill complement the flavors of the cucumbers. You can view more salads like this cucumber salad recipe here.
This is one of my favorite summer salads as it has a crisp crunch from the fresh sliced cucumbers and a tangy dressing. It makes a light and refreshing side dish for a picnic or grilled food. These fresh cucumber slices are also a good choice to for a company potluck dinner. You can use this as a substitute for potato salad or other heavier pasta salads.
I remember my grandma and my mom making this salad when the heat of the summer was upon us. To me, this salad just tastes like summer with fresh cucumbers straight from the garden. I also remember eating what seemed like a huge portion of this salad, yet never feeling stuffed. I think that is the mark of a great side dish.
If you have Vidalia onions available, I would recommend them for this recipe. They are a mild, mellow onion so the flavor of the cucumbers still comes through. Fresh dill is best, but dried dill will work too.
Make this recipe at least two to three hours ahead so the flavors have enough time to develop properly. It is best if you make it ahead the day before you will be serving it. You can also easily double this recipe.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 medium to large cucumbers
- 1 small Vidalia onion (or mild sweet onion)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt (or table salt)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Wash cucumbers and peel the outside skins. Cut into slices that are ⅛" to 3/16" thick. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the onion if half and slice into thin slices that can be easily eaten. Leaving the slices as rings is okay, but is harder and a little messier to eat.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper and dill until smooth and well mixed.
- Pour over the cucumbers and toss until completely coated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2-3 hours before serving. This will taste better if you allow the salad to keep overnight in the refrigerator before serving.