Cherry coffee cake is made with sweet cherry pie filling, sugar, egg whites, butter, and milk and finished with a crumb topping. Serve for brunch, breakfast, or dessert.
Try this delicious cherry coffee cake recipe for breakfast or brunch this weekend and enjoy the compliments!
Whipped egg whites give the coffee cake volume and keeps the cake light and fluffy. This recipe is quick and easy because you use canned cherry pie filling. You can also use any other fruit flavor of pie filling for this recipe such as blueberry or apple.
Serve the cake warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream for a fun dessert. Find more coffeecake recipes like this cherry crumb coffee cake.
This cherry coffee cake recipe is from my Grandmother’s recipe box collection.
Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1-21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9" square or 7" x 11" pan.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Soften butter and cut in to flour mixture until crumbly. A pastry cutter works well for this. Reserve ½ cup of mixture for topping.
- Separate the eggs into two different small bowls.
- Combine the 2 egg yolks, beaten and milk. Add to remaining crumb mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff. Carefully and slowly fold into batter mixture.
- Spread mixture into a greased baking pan or dish.
- Over this mixture, evenly spread the cherry pie filling.
- Top with the remaining ½ cup of crumbs.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until lightly golden brown and set in the center. Let cool slightly.
- Top this coffeecake with sweetened whipped cream if desired, and serve warm.