Need a great side dish? Try this classic green bean casserole recipe for your next dinner. Made with fresh or frozen green beans, water chestnuts, and French fried onions, this vegetable recipe will remind you of home cooking of the past.
This is a classic recipe to serve for Thanksgiving or Christmas and one that everyone will be expecting on the dinner table. It is a traditional holiday dish in many households.
It can also be served as part of a brunch menu. This green bean recipe will complement just about any type of eggs.
This variation uses water chestnuts for a good crunch and of course, it wouldn’t be complete without French fried onions on top.
If you happen to have fresh green beans on hand, it makes the dish just that much better, but canned green beans will work equally as well.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
I think you get a nicer look to the casserole if you use French cut green beans, but of course they tast the same as a standard cut bean. It really depends what you have available to you.
Serve this classic green bean casserole for brunch or dinner with these creamy scrambled eggs.
Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Classic Green Bean Casserole
- 4 cups fresh or frozen green beans you can also use the canned equivalent
- 1-8 ounce can water chestnuts
- 2-10.5 ounce cans cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 small can 2.8 ounce French fried onions
- Place the fresh or frozen green beans in a large kettle with enough water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are bright green in color and slightly tender. Drain well in a colander with ice cold tap water. Remove as much excess water as possible by laying the beans out on a clean towel and blotting dry.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole baking dish with butter or vegetable cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 of the green beans into the casserole dish. Follow with a layer of 1/2 the can of water chestnuts.
- Repeat with another layer of green beans and water chestnuts.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, mix the 2 cans of cream of celery soup, milk, and salt and pepper.
- Pour over the green beans and water chestnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the entire can of French fried onions on top the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Bake 10 minutes longer until the onions are golden brown.
More Vegetable Recipes
Fall Harvest Squash Soup Recipe