An easy vegetable casserole recipe made with mixed frozen vegetables, cream cheese, and sharp cheddar cheese that is baked in the oven and topped with buttered bread crumbs.
This is a delicious way to serve vegetables for breakfast or for a weekend brunch menu.
This brunch recipe is also hearty enough to use as a side dish for your evening meal. It is rather unique, as you don’t find many casserole recipes for vegetables in general.
Serve this vegetable casserole recipe with ham, eggs, and fruit for an easy brunch menu.
Vegetable Casserole Recipe
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen vegetables (1 cauliflower and 1 mixed vegetable or 1 large bag of assorted vegetables.)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Buttered Bread Crumbs:
- 1 cup fine ground bread crumbs
- ½ cup of butter
- Kitchen Equipment Needed
- 9" x 13" baking pan
- medium sauce pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thaw and cook the frozen vegetables and drain them in a colander. Place in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons butter until it makes a smooth paste. Stirring constantly, slowly add 1 cup milk and bring to enough of a boil to make a medium thick white sauce. Flavor with salt and pepper.
- Remove the white sauce from the stove and stir in the 4 ounces of cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese is melted and smooth with no lumps.
- Pour this mixture over the vegetables and stir together.
- Sprinkle the shredded sharp cheddar cheese over the top of the vegetables.
- In the microwave or in a small saucepan, melt ½ cup of butter and stir in the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the top of the vegetable casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly, about 30-40 minutes.
More Vegetable Recipes