A Spanish green bean recipe made with canned green beans and seasoned with onion, green pepper, diced tomatoes and topped with toasted croutons.
These Spanish styled beans are a nice vegetable side dish to serve with meat or chicken for a savory evening dinner.
I really enjoyed the flavor of this unique recipe. There are not many that would combine a standard garden vegetable like green beans with tomatoes and green pepper.
I especially thought the toasted croutons on top made a nice addition. You get a bit of buttery, salty, crunchy flavor from the bread crumbs that really adds to the entire dish.
This vegetable recipe is quick and easy, needing only about 15 minutes cooking time if your green beans are already cooked.
The addition of the onion and green pepper cook in well so that you cannot really tell they are part of the dish, but still impart a delicious flavor.
View more vegetable recipes like this green bean recipe.
Spanish Green Bean Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cooked or canned diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cup cooked or canned green beans
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ to 1 cup plain toasted croutons (purchased or make them yourself)
- In a frying pan, heat the vegetable oil and brown the onions and green peppers.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook slowly for about 15 minutes.
- Add the green beans and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through. Turn into a serving dish.
- Add purchased toasted croutons and toss evenly.
- Place two slices of bread in the toaster and toast until medium to dark brown. Do not burn the toast!
- Cut the bread into small cubes and top the Spanish snap beans with the homemade croutons.
You can also use seasoned croutons in place of the toasted bread.