Homemade potato doughnuts are made with mashed potatoes, sugar, eggs, and spiced with nutmeg and mace and fried in oil. They are dusted with cinnamon sugar. Serve them warm for breakfast or brunch.They have a nice spiced flavor to them that is not too overpowering, and are just sweet enough.
If you do not like a sugared doughnut, you could roll them in powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) instead.
Try this doughnut recipe today and watch your family head for the kitchen, waiting for the warm, fresh doughnuts to be cool enough to eat!
*Mace is a spice that is derived from the outer shell of nutmeg. It has a similar flavor and aroma to nutmeg, but more delicate. You may substitute an additional 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg in this recipe for the mace if you do not have that on hand.
Potato Doughnuts Recipe
Potato Doughnuts Recipe with Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 Medium mixing bowls
- Deep fryer or deep walled skillet
- Vegetable oil or lard for frying
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons lard or butter, melted
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon mace *see below for description
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the sugar, eggs and milk.
- Mix in lard and shredded potatoes to the sugar and egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and mace.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix well.
- Chill dough until stiff.
- On a floured board, roll out dough until 1/3" thick.
- Cut doughnuts with a doughnut cutter. Let stand and rest 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil and fry in hot fat. Don't forget to fry the doughnut holes too!
- Drain on paper toweling and roll in cinnamon sugar.
More Old-Fashioned Doughnut Recipes
Cake Doughnut Recipe With Coffee Flavored Glaze
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Mashed Potato Doughnuts Recipe
Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts Recipe
Old-Fashioned Sugared Doughnuts
Apple Fritters with Vanilla Glaze