An easy mashed potato doughnuts recipe for a homemade doughnut that is baked in the oven. These are also known as “spudnuts” in some circles.
These doughnuts are made with mashed potatoes, milk, butter, sugar, and yeast. Because they are baked, they are a healthier alternative to fried doughnuts.
Brush these baked doughnuts with butter and roll them in sugar. Watch them become a hit with your friends and family. Serve them for breakfast or brunch.
You can now have fresh, hot doughnuts at home without a deep fryer. It is nice not having to deal with the spatters and deep fried food smell. You will have a lot less mess to clean up with these doughnuts. This is one of my Grandma’s doughnut recipes that has been a family favorite for many years.
Instead of baking on a baking sheet, you can also use a mini-doughnut maker with this recipe.
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List
Looking for a more doughnut recipe ideas? Check out the cookbooks below…
Previous FB Comments
HOPE THIS RECIPE WILL WORK WITH MY NEW MINI DOUGHNUT BAKER.
Mary Ellen W.
I think they call these fashnaughts (?) PA/Dutch goodie.
Ashlyn just saw all the little doughnut and other bakers. Does it work well?
Yes, and I have an extra one that I will send next week. Just keep it clean after each batch. Also I have a marvelous book for Ashlyn. I got it with her in mind and it is wonderful. I read it and was amazed at how well written and imaginative the author is…..OK
Just about fabulous! Lots of new ideas to try.
Mashed Potato Doughnuts Recipe
Enjoy these hot, homemade doughnuts as soon as possible. They are best fresh!
Mashed Potato Doughnuts Recipe
- small saucepan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- baking sheets buttered
- Rolling Pin
- 1 cup milk scalded
- 3/4 cup butter or lard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 small cake of yeast .6 ounces
- 1/4 cup warm potato water
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- Granulated Sugar
- In a small saucepan, scald the milk on the stove top. Remove from the heat and add the butter, sugar, and salt to the milk. Cool the mixture.
- Pour the cooled mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the mashed potatoes and cake of yeast that has been dissolved in potato water.
- Blend in the beaten eggs. Stir in the flour.
- Cover bowl and let the dough rise about 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Place doughnuts on a buttered cookie sheet. Let rise 5-10 minutes.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- After removing from oven and still hot, brush with softened butter and roll in granulated sugar.