An old-fashioned sugared doughnuts recipe made with yeast, fried, and rolled in granulated sugar. Serve these homemade doughnuts warm as a fun treat for breakfast or brunch.
Who doesn’t like homemade doughnuts? Fresh and hot, they are certainly a treat and a feast for the senses. I can almost smell them now!
This is a recipe for a yeast doughnut that is cut out with a doughnut cutter, fried in a deep fryer, and then rolled in granulated sugar.
They are best if eaten the same day, while they are warm and fresh. Chances are they won’t last much longer than that anyway. They tend to disappear quickly!
Old-Fashioned Sugared Doughnuts Recipe
Old-Fashioned Sugared Doughnuts
- Deep Fryer or Doughnut Fryer
- Vegetable oil or lard for frying
- 1 cake yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups flour sifted (if whole eggs are used, increase flour 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup melted shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups Granulated or cinnamon sugar
- The night before, dissolve yeast in warm milk (not scalding).
- Combine all ingredients and knead the dough lightly. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut them with a 3-inch doughnut cutter or biscuit cutter. Transfer them to a baking sheet and let rise at room temperature until double in size.
- Fry with vegetable oil at 365 degrees using a deep fryer, deep walled frying pan, or using a doughnut maker. Drop a few of the doughnuts into the hot oil, and let them rise to the surface. Fry for 45 seconds to about one minute on each side until lightly golden brown. Flip with a metal tong.
- Drain on paper towels and dredge them in granulated or cinnamon sugar while they are still warm.
Photo Copyright: Viktor – Fotolia.com
More Old-Fashioned Doughnut Recipes
Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXXAre you ready to save money on your grocery bill and earn gift cards from your efforts? Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code MXUXX and get 2,000 points. It’s a free app that turns grocery receipts into rewards. Click here to read my Fetch Rewards review on how it works. Just scan any grocery or gasoline receipt, and earn points towards awesome rewards. You’ll earn on all matched brands and products and gain access to exclusive offers that earn you even more points. No more entering codes, completing tasks or jumping through any hoops! Just scan your grocery receipt, and get rewarded. Click here to download the FetchRewards app. Use my Fetch Rewards Referral Code: MXUXX You can find more money saving referral codes here: Referral Code Master List