A buttermilk cake doughnuts recipe flavored with nutmeg and vanilla. Serve warm for breakfast or brunch plain or dipped in sugar or a glaze.
Nothing beats waking up to the aroma of fresh hot doughnuts. I dare you to eat just one! These donuts have a touch of nutmeg in them and taste just like the ones your Grandma used to make. Buttermilk in the recipe helps keep them moist.
Make a few new family memories and enjoy these cake donuts for a relaxing weekend breakfast or brunch.
Make the dough the night before so it has a chance to rest and fry them in the morning. Serve with a big glass of fresh orange juice.
Looking for a more doughnut recipe ideas? Check out the cookbooks below…
Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Kitchen Supplies:
- Large mixing bowl
- Deep Fryer or Large Deep Frying pan or cast iron skillet
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and melted butter and mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Chill overnight in a covered bowl.
- Roll out on a floured surface to ½" thick and cut with a 2-1/2" to 3" round doughnut cutter.
- Fry in hot vegetable oil, about 4" deep, at 370-380 degrees until golden brown. Maintain a constant temperature for the vegetable oil.
- Remove and drain on a few layers of paper towel. Serve warm. Glaze, sugar or frost the doughnuts to your liking.
Make sure the oil does not get too hot, or the doughnuts will get too dark on the outside and barely cooked on the inside.
Be sure to fry the doughnut holes too!