Strawberry Stuffed French Toast with Ricotta Cheese
A stuffed French toast recipe made with thick Texas toast and stuffed with strawberry jam and ricotta cheese. Serve for breakfast or brunch topped with fresh berries, maple syrup, and powdered sugar.
This easy French toast can be made on short notice, as it only takes about 15 minutes to assemble and about 15 minutes in the frying pan.
Ricotta cheese in the filling has a creamy texture, which is then sweetened with the strawberry jam. This is a delicious breakfast recipe to try the next time you want to serve something a bit luxurious than the standard morning fare.
The addition of almond extract to the mix brings a heady flavor to the vanilla in this French toast. It is a sensation for the palate on more than one level. Almond is one of my favorite flavors and it works really well in this recipe.
You may wonder how to combine the slices of French toast. By using a fork and gently mashing the outer edges of the two slice of French toast together, you create a seal between the slices of bread. Don’t worry if some of the filling squishes out, it will still taste great.
As an additional garnish, consider using sliced bananas. The color contrast is very nice and the bananas compliment the berries by cutting a bit of the sweetness.
This is definitely a sweet item for your table. Counter that with some bacon or sausage for a savory component of this meal.
Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 2 cups fresh mixed berries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 12 slices French bread or Texas toast (1/2" to ¾" thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, butter or margarine
- Kitchen Equipment Needed
- 2 small mixing bowls
- 1 shallow bowl or pie plate
- Griddle for frying
- Combine berries and sugar in small bowl, set aside.
- Combine ricotta cheese and strawberry preserves in another small bowl and mix well.
- Combine the eggs, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla in a deep-dish pie plate or shallow bowl and mix well.
- Spread ricotta preserve mixture evenly over 6 slices of bread.
- Top with remaining slices of bread to form a sandwich. Press the outer edges together slightly with a fork to keep the filling in place.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Cook each side about 2 minutes till golden brown.
- Serve this stuffed French toast with butter, maple syrup, a spoonful of the sugared berries, and a dusting of powdered sugar (confectioners sugar).
This recipe makes 6 servings.