These savory cheddar cheese scones are made with sharp cheddar cheese and flavored with basil. Serve scones for breakfast or brunch with quiche, eggs, or a breakfast casserole.
These delightful cheese scones are somewhat similar to a biscuit and will make a nice alternative bread selection for your next breakfast or brunch.
Serve this scone recipe warm with plain or herb flavored butter for a special treat your family will love.
Cheddar Cheese Scones Recipe
- 2 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon of dried, crushed basil
- 1-1/2 Cups (6 ounces) of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ Cup of sour cream
- ¼ Cup of vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons of milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda and basil. Stir in the sharp shredded cheese and stir to coat the cheese.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, sour cream, oil and milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula just until incorporated.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until mixture forms together into a soft ball. Do not knead any longer than you have to in order for dough to stick together and be incorporated.
- Gently pat the dough out to approximately 12" round and about a ¼" thickness.
- Cut into 8 wedges if you are using a scone pan. You can also cut into 8-12 slices.
- Using a pie server or square spatula, remove and place the scones on a greased baking sheet or in a scone pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.
***If you don't want to knead the dough, you can make drop scones by scooping large spoonfuls of the dough onto a greased baking sheet. They will turn out looking a little bit more like biscuits, but will still retain their wonderful flavor.