Puppy Chow is a fun snack treat made with Rice Chex cereal, chocolate, and peanut butter. Serve for a holiday brunch or office treat.
You know how sometimes the food isn’t really about the food itself, but the memories it holds?
Whenever I make puppy chow it reminds me of Christmas at my mother-in-law’s home when she was still alive. We would all squeeze into a living room that wasn’t made for 16 people along with plates of food and beverages. Perhaps that sounds like your family too?
The table was always full of treats and goodies that everyone brought and almost always puppy chow was part of that table. This became one of the “appetizers” that everyone grazed on before we actually ate the rest of the food. It was hard to walk by the table and not grab a handful of this wonderful treat.
This recipe has been around for some time so ask yourself what kind of memories you have with this tasty snack? If you have never made this recipe, ask yourself what kind of memories can you and your family make with this snack?
Because you use an entire box of Chex cereal in the recipe it makes a big batch. So if you have a lot extra you can freeze the remainder and it will keep for 2-3 months. This is nice because sometimes you have too many holiday treats available to sample at the same time.
Puppy Chow Snack Recipe
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1-12 ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-13 ounce box Rice Chex cereal
- 1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 large brown paper grocery shopping bag.
- In a medium saucepan melt the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butter over low heat until melted and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl pour the entire box of Rice Chex cereal. Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal and coat evenly.
- In a large brown paper grocery shopping bag place 3 cups of confectioners sugar. Add in the coated Rice Chex cereal to the bag. Close the bag securely and shake well to evenly coat each piece of cereal with the confectioners sugar.
- Pour out onto a large baking sheet to cool and dry.
- Store in a covered plastic container.