Homemade potato doughnuts are made with mashed potatoes, sugar, eggs, and spiced with nutmeg and mace and fried in oil. They are dusted with cinnamon sugar. Serve them warm for breakfast or brunch.They have a nice spiced flavor to them that is not too overpowering, and are just sweet enough.
If you do not like a sugared doughnut, you could roll them in powdered sugar (confectioners sugar) instead.
Try this doughnut recipe today and watch your family head for the kitchen, waiting for the warm, fresh doughnuts to be cool enough to eat!
*Mace is a spice that is derived from the outer shell of nutmeg. It has a similar flavor and aroma to nutmeg, but more delicate. You may substitute an additional 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg in this recipe for the mace if you do not have that on hand.
Find more doughnut recipes like these potato doughnuts.
Potato Doughnuts Recipe
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons lard (or butter), melted
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon mace (*see below for description)
- Vegetable Oil or Lard for frying
- Cinnamon Sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kitchen Equipment Needed
- Two medium mixing bowls
- Deep fryer or deep walled skillet
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix the sugar, eggs and milk.
- Mix in lard and shredded potatoes to the sugar and egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and mace.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Mix well.
- Chill dough until stiff.
- On a floured board, roll out dough until ⅓" thick.
- Cut doughnuts with a doughnut cutter. Let stand and rest 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil and fry in hot fat. Don't forget to fry the doughnut holes too!
- Drain on paper toweling and roll in cinnamon sugar.
*Mace is a spice that is derived from the outer shell of nutmeg. It has a similar flavor and aroma to nutmeg, but more delicate. You may substitute an additional ½ teaspoon of nutmeg in this recipe for the mace if you do not have that on hand.