A marinated tomato recipe made with fresh ripe tomatoes and marinated in a sauce of olive oil and basil. You can serve these elegant and tasty tomatoes with a variety of foods like hamburgers, chicken, and corn on the cob for a taste of summer. You could also use them as a side dish for a savory brunch menu. You can also find other recipes for garden vegetables like these marinated tomatoes here.
This is an easy recipe flavored with finely chopped onion, red wine vinegar, basil, garlic, and parsley. These tomatoes taste best when made about three hours ahead of time or you can make them ahead the evening before.
When your garden produces too many tomatoes, you begin to treasure finding new and unique recipes to make use of them all. Perhaps this recipe for marinated tomatoes can add one more idea for using up the extra garden produce.
You can use just about any variety of tomatoes for this recipe. Smaller fruits such as Roma work better for individual servings, but if this is for a brunch buffet where your guests will be helping themselves to one or two slices, feel free to use larger varieties such as Heirloom or Beefsteak.
The basil adds a wonderful fresh aroma to your table. If you have fresh basil available, by all means use fresh instead of dried basil. I grow basil in a container just outside my porch which makes it quick and easy to access.
This side dish also adds color to your table as the bright red slices contrasts nicely with other foods. You might even consider pulling out the good serving dishes to show off your beautiful tomatoes.
Marinated Tomato Recipe
- 4 large ripe tomatoes or 8 Roma tomatoes (figure about ½ large or 1 small tomato per person)
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup salad oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade together (except tomatoes) in a large covered jar or glass dish and chill several hours.
- When chilled, remove the clove of garlic from the marinade.
- Slice the tomatoes into thick slices and place them in a single layer in a shallow 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- Pour the marinade over the tomatoes to cover.
- Let sit for 3 hours or overnight.