Find homemade dessert topping recipes including favorites like lemon whipped cream, chocolate sour cream topping, and sour cream topping. Serve over desserts and cakes. Also find recipes for never fail meringue and whipped cream filling and frosting.
Want to make your own dessert sauce recipes? Learn how to make your own homemade ice cream sundae toppings like chocolate, caramel, marshmallow, and butterscotch. These are easy to make recipes for homemade toppings that add that extra special touch to your homemade desserts. Serve over pound cake or sponge cake, cheesecake, apple crisp, and other desserts.
Try any of these chocolate, caramel, vanilla, custard, and fruit sauce recipes as an ice cream topping or sundae topping. Serve as a treat drizzled over cakes, cheesecakes, custards, and baked desserts like bread pudding or apple crisp.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for more chocolate, caramel, butterscotch dessert topping recipes.
Lemon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- Beat cream at medium high until it begins to thicken.
- Gradually add sugar; continue beating, adding lemon juice. Beat only until cream holds soft peaks.
- Fold in rind.
- Serve on slices of cake. Top with a cherry if desired. Delicious on sponge cake or pound cake because it is not too sweet.
Chocolate Sour Cream Topping
- 4 ounces semi sweet milk chocolate
- ½ cup sour cream at room temperature
- Melt chocolate over hot water or on very low heat.
- When melted, remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
- Spread over surface of cooled cheesecake or cheese pie.
- Refrigerate until firm. Do not bake!
- Makes enough topping for 1-9" round cheesecake or cheese pie.
Whipped Sour Cream Topping
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- dash of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixer bowl. Place bowl and beaters in freezer.
- When ice crystals begin to form around outside of sour cream, remove from the freezer and beat on high speed 4-5 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Will be thin at first and thicken upon standing.
- Makes 2 cups.
Whipped Cream Filling and Frosting
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a cup. Let stand until softened, then add the hot water, stirring until dissolved.
- Beat the cream until it begins to thicken slightly.
- Gradually add the confectioner sugar and cinnamon and continue beating until the cream begins to hold its shape.
- Beat in the dissolved gelatin a little at a time and continue beating until stiff enough to spread, but not buttery. Very good with pumpkin spice cake.
Strawberry Dessert Cream
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- ⅓ cup strawberry preserves
- 3 drops red food color
- Beat 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream in small bowl until stiff.
- Fold in ⅓ cup strawberry preserves and 3 drops red food color, if desired.
- Makes about 2 cups topping.
Never Fail Meringue
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- ½ cup. boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Mix cornstarch with cold water. Add boiling water and cook until thickened. Let stand until cool.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff.
- Turn mixer to low speed and add vanilla and salt. Gradually add cornstarch mixture, beat well.
- Spread over cool pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or golden brown.
More Homemade Dessert Topping Recipes
Caramel Sauce Recipe with cinnamon, coffee, and brandy variations.
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
Chocolate Pecan Sauce
Dark Chocolate Sauce Recipe
Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
Creamy Vanilla Sauce Recipe
Homemade Vanilla Sauce
Easy Vanilla Sauce
Custard Rum Sauce
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe