A recipe for hamburger soup made with hamburger, mixed vegetables, V-8 juice, Ramen noodles, and beefy onion soup mix. Hamburger soup is one of our favorite weeknight dinners.
We usually have the ingredients on hand and it makes a hearty and satisfying winter meal. Everyone leaves the table content and happy when I make this recipe. Even my 11-year old son likes it and that is saying something!
My mother-in-law originally shared with us and it has been further modified by other family members to what we make today.
We Modified The Recipe!
The original recipe did not have the beefy onion soup mix nor the Ramen Noodle Soup, but we found adding those ingredients does add a lot of flavor. Also, we find we like the V-8 juice in this soup more than plain tomato juice, but that is up to you to decide. Sometimes that gets determined by what you happen to have on hand at the time.
One of the things that I appreciate about this soup is that you can make it in a single pot. If you have a large soup pot, you can brown the hamburger, garlic, and onions right in the pot and then add the rest of the ingredients. That makes for much easier clean up.
Also, if you are watching your carbs, this recipe might just fit into your meal plan, just leave off the crackers.
Comforting Hamburger Soup Recipe
- ½ medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1-64 ounce bottle V-8 Juice or Tomato Juice
- 1-16 ounce package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 pkg. Beefy Onion Soup Mix
- 1 pkg. Beef Flavored Ramen Noodle Soup
- Chop onion and place in large stock pot. Add chopped garlic and butter. Saute on medium high heat until the onions turn translucent and give up their water.
- Turn heat down to medium and add in hamburger. Using a large plastic spoon, break up and crumble the hamburger while browning.
- Once the hamburger is browned, add in the bottle of V-8 juice, frozen mixed vegetables, and beefy onion soup mix.
- Gently crush the Ramen noodles into small pieces while still in the package. Open the package and remove the seasoning packet. Add the seasoning packet only to the soup.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add in the crushed Ramen noodles and stir together.
- Simmer for an additional 15 minutes on low heat.
More Main Dish Recipe Ideas