A ground beef shepherds pie recipe made with ground beef and seasoned with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. Serve this cottage pie for a hearty breakfast or brunch. You could also serve this for a late dinner after work. It is a quick and easy dish that works well as a way to use up leftovers.
Shepherds pie is an easy recipe to stretch if you have unexpected guests arriving. Just add a can of mixed vegetables to the meat portion of the recipe and this will easily serve 6 people.
You might also want to check out this recipe for shepherds pie.
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 2 cups cooked ground beef (you can also use leftover steak or roast)
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup brown beef gravy
- salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon hot red pepper
- 2 cups prepared mashed potato (can use instant mashed potatoes)
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-15 ounce can mixed vegetables, drained (optional)
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 6-quart round casserole glass baking dish or a 9" x 9" square pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooked ground beef, gravy and onion. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, and hot red pepper.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the mashed potatoes, parsley, thyme and oregano. Mix well.
- In the bottom of your greased casserole or baking dish, layer half of the mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables.
- Add the meat mixture on top.
- Follow with the remaining half of the mashed potatoes.
- Dot the mashed potatoes with small cubes of butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are browned and the Shepherds pie is heated all the way through.