This fruit cocktail coffee cake with cream cheese frosting is made with canned fruit cocktail, egg, sugar, and chopped nuts. Serve for brunch or dessert.
The preparation on this recipe is quick and easy. You can have this coffee cake in the oven in about 15 minutes and on the table in less than an hour. You frost this while warm and is delicious served either warm or cold.
Who doesn’t like a little bit of sweetness with their coffee? It is a very nice looking cake to serve when company comes to visit.
Originally my Grandma would have served this as a weeknight dessert to feed 5 hungry farm boys and a few hired hands. You didn’t get dessert every night! Cut into nine pieces you would have gotten one piece per person and it would have been gone in only minutes.
This recipe is from my Grandmother’s recipe box collection.
Fruit Cocktail Coffee Cake
- 1 Cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 small can (8-3/4 oz.) fruit cocktail
- ¼ Cup chopped or ground nuts, optional
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 pkg. (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 Cup powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8" x 8" x 2" glass baking dish or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Combine the egg, vanilla, and fruit cocktail with juice in a separate bowl. Stir well.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared glass baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- While baking, prepare the cream cheese frosting. With an electric hand mixer, blend the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Let the coffee cake sit for 10 minutes or so and then frost the cake while still warm.