An easy French vanilla ice cream recipe made with milk, eggs, and cream. This is a smooth and rich dessert that is delicious on its own or served over pies or cobblers.
This is quite an old recipe from my grandmother’s recipe box collection. I know it was looked upon as a special treat that everyone appreciated.
This can be made in an ice cream freezer, but does not have to be. I know it would not have been made that way originally and can be made just using your freezer – and a bit of elbow grease. An ice cream maker would turn out a creamier product, but it is still very good without using it.
Homemade ice cream tastes better in these vintage ice cream dishes from eBay.
French Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Blend in a sauce pan the granulated sugar, salt, milk, and slightly beaten egg yolks. Cook, stirring continuously until it comes to a boil.
- Cool and add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour into a freezer safe bowl. Freeze until partly frozen, about ½ to 1 hour.
- Whip 1 cup whipping cream with a whisk or electric mixer and set aside.
- Take the custard out of the freezer and place into a larger bowl. Beat until smooth. Gently fold in the whipping cream.
- Freeze until firm stirring 3-4 times during the first hour. Allow 3-4 hours to freeze completely.
- You can also place the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze it that way.