An easy appetizer recipe made with ground beef, shell noodles, Velveeta cheese, spiced tomatoes, and taco sauce. Serve this hearty appetizer for brunch, a party, or when having friends over for the big game.
The classic combination of meat, cheese, and tomatoes always seems to be a winner when served with tortilla chips for an appetizer or snack.
If your favorite team has made the playoffs and you are going to invite a few friends over to watch the game, this is an easy recipe that will satisfy hearty appetites.
If you notice Rotel brand tomatoes are specified for this recipe. Rotel canned tomatoes have green chiles in them which gives this appetizer recipe a nice kick. It is not super hot, but just enough to be noticed. The tomatoes are mellowed out by the cheese and sour cream.
This recipe also calls for Velveeta cheese due to its ability to melt evenly and not leave an oily residue. Traditional cheddar cheese can be substituted but certain brands may not melt as well as others.
As this is a hearty appetizer, you could also make this as a dinner casserole and serve the chips on the side.
Special thanks to Toya, one of my readers, for contributing and sharing this recipe.
Easy Appetizer Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons minced onions
- 3 Tablespoons taco sauce
- 7 oz. small shell noodles
- 1 pound of Velveeta cheese (1/2 block)
- ½ dollop- sour cream
- 1-10 ounce can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- In a skillet or frying pan brown the ground beef and minced onions until cooked. Drain the fat from the meat. Return to the skillet and add the taco sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook shells in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to BIG pot.
- In the same pot, add the ground beef to the shells, along with the Velveeta cheese, sour cream, and Rotel tomatoes. Stir all ingredients together. Simmer(with lid on pot), stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. (if desired, add more cheese, sour cream, and Rotel tomatoes). ENJOY! It's great with tortilla chips or Doritos!