A homemade cranberry bread recipe made with fresh cranberries, orange juice, and chopped nuts. Serve for breakfast, brunch, or a holiday dessert.
This cranberry bread is full of flavor because of the fresh orange juice and grated orange rind.
Sweet-tart cranberries make a delicious quick bread to serve for breakfast, brunch, part of a special Thanksgiving or Christmas brunch menu.
Serve warm or cold with a pat of butter or softened cream cheese spread on top.
Homemade Cranberry Bread Recipe
- juice and grated rind of 1 medium orange
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 8" x 4" x 3" metal loaf baking pan and set aside.
- In a measuring cup, place the juice of 1 orange and its grated rind. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter and enough boiling water to make ¾ cup. Pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk one egg, slightly beaten into the orange juice mixture.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the liquid into it. Stir to combine, just until moistened.
- Fold in the cranberries and chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf baking pan. Let stand 20 minutes before baking. During this time preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in the baking pan and then turn out onto a wooden or wire rack and finish cooling.