Make these cheesy mashed potato balls for a dinner side dish this weekend. Parmesan cheese and cream cheese flavor these unusual breakfast potatoes.
This side dish is made with mashed potatoes, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, green onion, and onion soup mix and makes these a nice alternative to the usual breakfast potato side dish. The potato balls are rolled in corn flakes to add some extra crunch and flavor.
One of the nice things about this breakfast recipe is that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them in small quantities. When you are ready, just thaw and re-heat in the oven. Serve these potatoes with eggs, quiche, ham, pork, or cooked sausage links.
This breakfast recipe is from my mom’s recipe box collection.
Looking for a pretty serving dish? Check out these vintage serving dishes on eBay.
Cheesy Mashed Potato Balls Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (3 oz.) package. cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion or chives
- 1 envelope (5 teaspoons) instant onion soup mix
- dash of pepper
- Milk (as necessary)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 3 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
- In a medium sauce pan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and mash.
- Stir in both Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, butter, onion, onion soup mix and pepper. Mix well. Add a small amount of milk if mixture is dry.
- Shape mixture into 16 balls.
- Dip in beaten egg; roll in cornflakes.
- Place on greased baking sheet; and bake in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until hot and crisp. Serve hot.
These can be made ahead and frozen and then thawed and re-heated in the oven when you are ready to serve. Another nice alternative to the usual breakfast potatoes.
More Main Dish Potato Recipes
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Southern Style Cheesy Potatoes
Ground Beef Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie Recipe
Hearty Shepherds Pie Recipe
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes With Ham And Peas
Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
Browned Butter Potatoes
Triple Cheese Potato Casserole
Fried Potatoes Recipe with Ham and Green Onions
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole with Ham and Peas
Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole