A homemade cake doughnut recipe that is rolled, cut out, and fried. The doughnuts are dipped in a coffee flavored glaze that enhances their flavor. Serve for breakfast or brunch with a good hot steaming cup of coffee or fresh juice.
This is one of my grandmother’s treats that she used to make when I was young and went to visit her – and one of my favorites! I can still remember helping glaze the doughnuts after she fried them in a cast iron skillet.
After the donuts had cooled slightly, we would put them into the bowl of icing and then place them on a wire rack to allow them to cool and the icing to harden.
It seemed to be forever before I could eat one. Oh, the agony of waiting. Wow, were they delicious! I could practically inhale them.
If you have always wanted to try making doughnuts, but have been a little bit nervous about the process, this will walk you through the process. This is a simple, straightforward, and classic treat.
Sometimes simple is all you need. Absolutely delicious!
It sometimes helps to have a second person in the kitchen to do the glazing part while you are doing the deep frying. That way the doughnuts are still hot when you glaze them.
Find more doughnut recipes here.
Cake Doughnut Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons lard (or butter) at room temperature
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Coffee Glaze:
- ¼ cup boiling water or ¼ cup hot coffee
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Kitchen Equipment Needed
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- doughnut cutter
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- deep fryer or deep frying pan
- wire racks (for cooling doughnuts)
- Baking pans (for catching drips)
- In a medium bowl, slightly beat 2 eggs.
- Add sugar to eggs and beat until incorporated.
- Add lard (or butter) and beat until smooth.
- Add milk and almond flavoring. Mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and chill dough until stiff enough to roll out with rolling pin.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin to ⅓" thick. Let rise 5-10 minutes.
- Cut doughnuts with a doughnut hole cutter.
- In a deep fryer or deep frying pan, fill fryer ⅓ to ½ full with vegetable oil and heat oil top 370 degrees.
- While oil is heating, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- When oil is hot enough, gently place as many doughnuts as will fit into your fryer, leaving plenty of room around each. Fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- While still hot, dip each doughnut in the bowl of glaze and place on a wire rack with a baking pan underneath.
- Let cool completely and enjoy with coffee or juice.