A cheesy and creamy Au Gratin potatoes recipe made with hash browns, cheddar cheese soup and sour cream. Make this potato recipe part of your weekend dinner for a quick and easy side dish.
These cheesy potatoes Au Gratin are a slightly different version of a favorite classic. Since they are made with hash browns instead of sliced potatoes, more of the cheesy flavor from the cheddar cheese soup soaks into the potatoes, making this breakfast recipe even better than the original.
Serve these potatoes as a side dish to ham, chicken or beef.
Also, the prep time is only about 15 minutes, leaving you with more time to devote to chatting with your guests. You only have a few dishes to wash with this recipe, so clean-up is quick and easy.
If you ever need a dish to pass, do try this recipe, as they will taste as though you spend hours on them.
You can also find more potato recipes like these Au Gratin potatoes here.
Want a pretty casserole dish for serving? Check out these vintage baking dishes on ebay.
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 1-30 ounce package frozen Ore Ida shredded hash browns
- 1-10 ounce can of cream of chicken soup
- 1-10 ounce can of cheddar cheese soup
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 stick of butter (8 ounces or ½ cup)
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, evenly layer the entire package of frozen hash browns.
- In the glass bowl for the microwave or using a medium saucepan on the stove, heat both soups (do not add any additional liquid), butter, and onion together until smooth and combined.
- Add in the sour cream to the mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture over the hash brown potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
The second way would be instead to combine the cheese mixture with the hash browns before placing in the baking dish. That way it will be mixed all the way through.
Either way this is really good comfort food!