A unique asparagus casserole recipe made from fresh asparagus, milk, cheese, hard cooked eggs, and buttered bread crumbs. Serve as a vegetable side dish. It is baked in the oven and has a nice creamy sauce when it is finished baking.
Other than the usual steamed asparagus, sometimes it can be difficult to come up with creative recipes for using up a bunch of asparagus you may have purchased or that is growing in your garden.
This recipe is different because it combines the fresh vegetable with the crunch of buttered bread crumbs and a creamy cheese sauce.
Serve this vegetable casserole in the spring when asparagus is in season for a weekend breakfast or brunch recipe.
This vegetable recipe is a bit lighter than the traditional brunch fare and just the thing to serve for a brunch menu, especially when the asparagus is plentiful and fresh.
Asparagus Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds asparagus
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Cups milk
- ¾ cup diced cheese
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 5 hard cooked eggs, diced
- ½ cup buttered bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook asparagus until tender crisp and drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, then stir in flour, salt and pepper and stir until smooth.
- Add milk gradually. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, onion, and bread crumbs. Stir until smooth.
- Combine sauce, asparagus, and hard cooked eggs in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.